Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Training Update

Hello again,
Well, after 6 weeks of training officer candidates and running through the hills of Quantico, I am back into training!  I only averaged about 20 miles per week since the end of May, most with plenty of gear, a rifle, and in boots and cammies.  In fact, I ran more during 3 Days at the Fair in 36 hours than I did over the past 6 weeks.  However, the plus is that my body is well rested and ready for lots of hill workouts and LSD runs with Alex P and the VHTRC gang.  Although the Grindstone 100 is the only race currently on my calendar, I plan to run a 50k race sometime between now and the beginning of October.  I dropped from 3 straight races during the hot and humid summer last year, so I plan to take it easy and train on my own in Shenandoah as often as possible.  I am too hard-headed to half-ass a race, so I won't race too much before Grindstone.  I intend to get my mileage up to 70-80 miles per week, effective immediately.  More time on my feet = better prepared for Grindstone.  A few of us have plans to camp and run the Grindstone route for an entire weekend at some point - I just hope we can all find the time to actually follow through with it.  Bug spray will be required.  This weekend the running club has runs planned for each morning, so I should be able to get out the door in time for at least one of them.  I am excited to get back into the mountains and regain the muscles I lost since May.  But first, I am taking a long and much needed/deserved vacation to visit family in Florida with my photographer and brothers - lots of time on the beach and lots of slow running as I ease back into training.

No comments:

Post a Comment